After you have your initial setup, I recommend to go ahead and install the latest firmware available to get the most out of your environment. First, go to http://www.cisco.com and from the Support Menu click on all downloads.
Image 1. Cisco Support Site – > All Downloads
Note: just hover over Support
Image 2. Select The UCS B-Series Blade Server Software
Image 3. Select the Server Software Bundle
Image 4. Select the UCS Manager version and download the respective bundles.
Number one (1) is the UCS Manager release version, number two (2) is the Blade Firmware, number three (3) is the bundle for the C-series. The C-Series bundle is not absolutely necessary but is recommended to upload it too. number four (4) is the UCS Manager and the FI firmware. With this, now your are ready to start the software update.
Phase 1: Pre-Work
- Check that the NTP is configured and working (view Figure 6 on Part 1)
- Take note of the management interfaces IP addresses and check that the admin status is enabled.
- Backup the UCS configuration
- Verify the status of each FI, the status should be ok and green before proceeding.
- Verify that the IO modules are up and operable
- If the environment has been previosly configured and is in production, check that all the servers (and all the rest of the equipment in general) is working correctly.
- Verify that there is available capacity for the upgrade, if the space is low delete any packages that are not in use (from the same place we will upload the packages later).
- Upload the packages, click on the plus sign to upload the files.
Phase 2: UCS Manager
First, we update the UCS Manager software.
- Equipment->Equipment->Firmware Management->Installed Firmware->Activate Firmware
- Click on the drop down menu to select the new version
- Re-login after a few minutes
Phase 3: FI Firmware
- Equipment->Equipment->Firmware Management->Firmware Auto Install and then Click Install Infrastructure Firmware
- Select Ignore All and click Next.
- Select the version from the drop down menu, check the Upgrade Now button and Click Finish.
- Click OK
- Verify the pending activities on top of the UCS manager to acknowledge the reboot of the FI’s.
- Click Yes
- Click OK
- Monitor the Progress, this could take 40 minutes per FI
- When the primary FI reboots, the UCS manager will disconnect and you will have to re-login. Check the progress and reboot the secondary FI when the option appears in pending activities on top.
Phase 4: Blade Servers
Now is the blade server turn. If the system is in production, check that all Service Profiles have the Maintenance Policy set to User Ack to avoid an immediate reboot of the servers. Before continuing, it is advisable to check that all components are up and operable.
- Click on the Install Server Firmware link
- Follow the wizard clicking nect, at the end click Install and click Confirm Install to the pop up windows.
- Monitor the progress and check the Pending Activities on the top for the Acknowledge, if the system is in production make sure you schedule a maintenance window for this.
With the system at the latest software version, we are ready to continue with the configuration of the Pools, Policies and Templates.
Part III: Pools and Policies
Part IV: Service Profile Templates
Part V: Storage